2019 Yamaha XSR900
Born To Rule
An authentic performance motorcycle that blends Yamaha triple‑cylinder technology with neo‑retro style.
- A Style All Its Own: The XSR900™ blends Yamaha's world-class engineering with standout neo-retro style, creating a new type of machine for riders looking for an authentic and honest motorcycle that doesn't sacrifice performance. Drawing influence from Yamaha's classic “XS" series of motorcycles, the XSR oozes class, with exposed aluminum details, retro-influenced bodywork, stepped seat and custom lighting and instrumentation.
- Advanced Crossplane Crankshaft Concept Engine: The XSR900 features a thrilling 847cc Crossplane Crankshaft Concept liquid-cooled inline 3-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder engine based on the FZ-09™. The compact motor offers the best balance of both 2- and 4-cylinder designs, with an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Cutting-Edge Electronics: The XSR900 combines a classic heritage with modern performance, featuring ride-by-wire YCC-T® engine control, adjustable D-MODE throttle response, and an adjustable Traction Control System, allowing the rider to make the most of the potent engine and chassis.
- Powerful Braking with ABS: The XSR900 provides exceptional braking power with confidence thanks to sportbike-spec brakes backed up with the security of ABS.
- Compact, Sporty Chassis: The narrow aluminum frame features sport-oriented geometry to achieve light and nimble handling. Adjustable suspension front and rear allows the rider to customize their XSR900 to match road conditions and personal preferences.
- Advanced Crossplane Crankshaft Concept Engine: The XSR900 features a thrilling 847cc liquid-cooled inline 3-cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve-per-cylinder Crossplane Crankshaft Concept engine based on the FZ-09. With a 78mm x 59.1mm bore and stroke and 11.5:1 compression ratio, the compact motor produces a torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- Advanced Ride-by-Wire Throttle with D-MODE: The XSR900 is equipped with Yamaha's Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) for precise throttle control, as well as Yamaha's selectable D-MODE, which allows the rider to adjust engine character on the fly. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions, A Mode gives the rider a sportier throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range, and B Mode lets the rider enjoy a softer throttle response.
- Adjustable Traction Control: The XSR900's Traction Control System lets the rider get on the gas with more confidence, by regulating ignition timing, fuel injection and throttle valve opening based on wheel speeds. Three modes are available: Mode “1" is for minimal intervention, Mode “2" is for maximum intervention, and “OFF" switches the system off entirely.
- Vibration Reducing Counterbalancer: To reduce vibration and provide a smooth, modern engine character, the motor uses a geared counterbalancer that revolves in the opposite direction as the crankshaft.
- Fracture-Split Connecting Rods: Just like Yamaha's racetrack-developed supersport models, the XSR900 makes use of fracture-split connecting rods for the ultimate in precision and performance. The fracture-split method splits the big-end ring of a connecting rod in two by applying a sharp impact, to create a perfectly matching surface when it is bolted around the crankshaft.
- Unique Staggered Intake Funnels: To create the XSR900's potent mid-range torque and unique intake sound, the engine's intake funnels have been designed with three uneven lengths. Combined with the YCC-T system, the XSR900 gives its rider the ‘right-now' thrust ideal for street riding.
- Compact 6-Speed Transmission: The XSR900's 6-speed transmission takes full advantage of the low-to-mid-range torque and excellent response of the inline triple, while further enhancing the narrow 3-cylinder design.
- Assist-and-Slipper Clutch: The XSR900 includes an advanced assist-and-slipper clutch unit that provides both greater clamping force and back-torque reduction. This allows for the use of lighter clutch springs - reducing clutch lever effort by 20% - as well as minimizing rear-wheel hop under aggressive deceleration.
- A Style All Its Own: The XSR900 blends Yamaha's world-class engineering with standout neo-retro style, creating a new type of machine for riders looking for an authentic and honest motorcycle that doesn't sacrifice performance. Drawing influence from Yamaha's classic “XS" series of motorcycles, the XSR oozes class, with exposed aluminum details, retro-influenced bodywork, stepped seat and custom lighting and instrumentation.
- Compact, Sporty Chassis: Underneath the new bodywork, an aluminum frame features a sport-oriented wheelbase, with rake and trail geometry working with the compact 3-cylinder engine to achieve light and nimble handling.
- Adjustable Suspension: Both front and rear suspension systems feature spring preload and rebound damping adjustments for a truly customizable ride. Up front, an inverted fork with 41mm inner tubes provides 5.4 inches of travel, while the rear linkage-type monoshock uses a nearly horizontal layout for improved mass-centralization, along with 5.1 inches of rear wheel travel.
- Powerful Braking with ABS: The XSR900 provides exceptional braking power thanks to sportbike-spec front brakes, consisting of paired floating 298mm discs with radially-mounted 4-piston calipers and a 245mm rear disc. ABS works to prevent wheel lock under hard deceleration.
- Lightweight Wheels: Lightweight 10-spoke cast aluminum wheels are fitted with a 120/70ZR17 front tire and 180/55ZR17 rear tire for excellent traction.
- Advanced Instrumentation: The new round LCD panel features a ton of information: digital tachometer, speedometer, gear position, eco mode indicator, TCS and D-MODE indicators, ambient and coolant temperature, a fuel gauge and range of trip computer functions, including a clock, instant and average fuel consumption, fuel reserve trip meter and the usual trip meters.
- Neo-Retro Lighting: Up front, a large, round multi-reflector headlight provides both style and illumination in equal measure, complete with trick aluminum supports, while out back, a round all-LED tail and brake light is mounted above the rear fender.
- Stylish and Ergonomic Fuel Tank: A compact 3.7 gallon fuel tank with offset fuel filler is shrouded by beautifully shaped and hand-finished aluminum covers for a timeless design.
- Sporty, All-Purpose Ergonomics: A wide, tapered aluminum handlebar, dished saddle and forged aluminum foot controls provide a comfortable upright riding position ideal for urban traffic or hustling down a twisty road.
- Unique XSR900 Detailing: Every aspect of the XSR900 shows Yamaha's attention to detail: The single-piece stepped saddle features a stitched “XSR900" logo. The mirrors are classic teardrop shapes with excellent rearward visibility. The compact radiator is flanked by exposed aluminum covers. The front fender uses retro-influence aluminum stays. The XSR900 demands a second look, every time.
- Engine Type: 847cc liquid-cooled DOHC inline 3-cylinder 4- stroke; 12 valves
- Bore x Stroke: 78.0mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Fuel Delivery: Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T
- Ignition: TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission: 6-speed; multiplate assist-and-slipper wet clutch
- Final Drive: Chain
- Suspension / Front: 41mm inverted fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4 in. travel
- Suspension / Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1 in. travel
- Brakes / Front: Dual 298mm discs; ABS
- Brakes / Rear: 245mm disc; ABS
- Tires / Front: 120/70ZR17
- Tires / Rear: 180/55ZR17
- L x W x H: 81.7 in. x 32.1 in. x 44.9 in.
- Seat Height: 32.7 in.
- Wheelbase: 56.7 in.
- Rake (Caster Angle): 25.0 deg.
- Trail: 4.1 in.
- Maximum Ground Clearance: 5.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity: 3.7 gal.
- Fuel Economy: 44 mpg
- Wet Weight: 430 lb.
- Warranty: 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
NOTES:Wet weight includes the vehicle with all standard equipment and all fluids, including oil, coolant (as applicable) and a full tank of fuel. It does not include the weight of options or accessories. Wet weight is useful in making real-world comparisons with other models. The riders depicted on this website are professionals, and all of the action was shot on a closed course. At Yamaha, we want every ride to be safe and enjoyable. Always dress properly for your ride with a helmet, eye protection and protective clothing. Avoid excessive speeds and never engage in stunt riding. Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs; it is illegal and dangerous. Always inspect your Yamaha before riding. Read the Owner's Manual and the product warning labels before operation. Yamaha and the Motorcycle Safety Foundation encourage you to ride safely and respect the environment. For safety and training information, see your dealer or call the MSF at 800.446.9227.
- Engine Type
- DOHC inline 3-cylinder 4- stroke; 12 valves
- Bore and Stroke
- 78.0mm x 59.1mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Yamaha Fuel Injection with YCC-T
- TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- 6-speed; multiplate assist-and-slipper wet clutch
- Final Drive
- Front Suspension
- 41mm inverted fork, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.4 in. travel
- Rear Suspension
- Single shock, adjustable preload and rebound damping; 5.1 in. travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 298mm discs; ABS
- Rear Brakes
- 245mm disc; ABS
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 56.7 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.7 in.
- 25.0 deg.
- 4.1 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.7 gal.
- 44 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 430 lb.
- 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)